The Würzburger Residenz, was the official residence of the Prince-Bishops of Würzburg. It is considered one of the finest examples of Baroque architecture. The residence was commissioned in 1720 by Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn, Prince Bishop of Würzburg, and was completed in 1744. The Prince-Bishopric of Würzburg was a state of the Holy Roman Empire from 1168 until 1803, when it was absorbed into the Electorate of Bavaria. In 1805, it became an independent state again as the Electorate of Würzburg. The following year it was renamed the Grand Duchy of Würzburg. The residence has long held the Würzburg Archives, which date back to the time of the Prince Bishopric.
The Almanac of Würzburg is a publication of the Noble Company Press, Noble Company of Saint Mary of Walsingham; a private, non-profit organization in no way connected with the Federal Republic of Germany. Entire contents copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.